1. Lower the bar. Lowering your Kitchen island or bar to counter height will give the kitchen a more modern, open concept feel while visually expanding the space.
2. It’s hip to be square. Squaring off the arched openings, countertop edges, range hoods, windows and cabinet doors will create clean, modern lines that are more popular in current home designs.
3. Flatten the trim. Fluted and ornate trim is a thing of the past. Create a fresher look with flat trim, and cove molding.
4. Polish the Railing. There are so many stylish new options for stair railing that using round wood spindles or twist and basket metal seems antiquated. One of the most affordable options to update your railing is to opt for the square, craftsman style railing with square newel posts. This transitional style goes with any décor.
5. Expand the Utility. Buyers expect more than just a space for the washer and dryer in their utility room these days. Design a space that is flexible, functional and creates more storage to fit the lifestyle of today’s buyers.